Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fate

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
The Big Question: Are there certain truths that can be considered universal or absolute?

                     
In Oedipus Rex by Sophocles it was very difficult for me to depict a truth that can relate to my big question. In this play, Oedipus is sent away at birth because of the fate that he had: to marry his mother and kill his father. As any good Sophocles play will depict, it is impossible to run away from your fate and in the end, Oedipus discovers the truth of what he has done. I agree with this story of fate because I believe that every person is put on this earth for a purpose. Unlike in a Sophocles play however, in real life we do not know our fate or our purpose.  When I look at the parallel between Oedipus Rex and real life, I see people who are not living their life aimlessly, but with an end purpose in mind whether they know it or not. Although I believe that this is a truth, I know that not everyone agrees with such a statement of fate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment